So as you know, I have been working for the past several months to get my love-child business “Love and Happiness” developed and off the ground. Love and Happiness is going to be a store for plus sized loungewear, lingerie, and comfort and spa items that promotes body positivity and celebrating those of us who are regularly ignored and excluded by mainstream media, traditional clothing stores, and in fashion.
My first steps to my business have already been taken and I have been majoring in school in marketing, business, and learning about the garment industry and fashion forecasting. The next step in my goal is to improve my technical sewing skills, which means learning how to construct clothing, how to sew difficult clothing such as bras (which are definitely tedious), and how to finish clothing in a way that is accurate and professional to give the people the most quality clothing I can in fresh young styles that keep up with current trends.
This is where YOU guys come in! I am a self taught designer who works minimum wage and pays for school myself, so all of my learning has come from books, Youtube, class havens such as Craftsy and CreativeBug, and old fashioned trial and error versus a traditional design school upbringing. At a class at Hancock Fabrics I was introduced to a long time used garment designing system known as “Tru-Fit”, also known as the “Lutterloh Pattern System” or “The Golden Rule”. The Lutterloh Pattern System is used to construct garments based on your exact measurements, and with their ruler and their sets of mini patterns you can create almost any garment you so desire. This not only allows me to learn how to piece together garments, but to use this system to grade up a commercial pattern that would otherwise be unattainable for plus sized people. Making the unattainable attainable and celebrating diversity in people is my driving passion and I can make it happen with the right tools available to me.
So what will your donation help me buy?
1. The updated Pattern Making Manual for Lutterloh which includes the original 300 base patterns.
2. The updated Pattern Making Manual for Lutterloh in XL and XXL which is meant for waist/bust circumferences of 60 inches and over.
3. The design rulers meant for both size sets.
4. The Advanced Guide to the Lutterloh Pattern Making System, which shows me how to more effectively use the patterns, as well as tips from designers who use the system
5. Design Books 1, 2, and 3 Separated by tops and bottoms and showing you how to take the available pattern pieces in the Lutterloh pattern making system to make your own designs.
6. The Sewing for Success book, which has designers trade secrets for how to sew faster and more efficiently, as well as tips for time and money saving options for fabric.
7. Mens Supplement by Lutterloh, which shows this same method but for mens clothing, which will be a great aide for people who prefer this aesthetic and enjoy menswear based designs and more relaxed loungewear. Also a great way to accommodate people who closely match this build.
To get all of these things including shipping and handling, I would have to raise 375 dollars for all of these books! This will be the first steps in my long journey but it is worth the investment in the long run to give you all the quality ready to wear products you deserve!
Every little bit helps! Even if you cant donate please signal boost! I need all of the resources I can get to make this dream a reality!